Today I’m going to be sharing a fantastic beef chili recipe that takes several of my favorite things and combines them into one ridiculously good bowl of chili. It seriously has a little bit of everything – a boneless beef chuck roast, savory herbs and spices, garlic and onion, a spicy pairing of chilies, and of course, one pound of butternut squash for good measure. If you’ve been searching for a soup recipe that’s full of flavor, offers a ton of nutritional value, and is nice and satisfying, then your search is over – this is the meal you need!
An Incredibly Satisfying Beef Chili That Can Help You Lose Weight
This chili recipe is a fantastic choice to make for anyone who’s trying to follow a diet to lose those last few unwanted pounds. The reason being is it’s so incredibly satiating thanks to all of the nutrient-dense ingredients that go into making it. There’s also the fact that it’s made with an ancho chili, a habanero chili, and ground cumin – three ingredients that definitely bring the heat while helping to rev up your metabolism. Not only is this chili recipe a dream come true for anyone who loves spicy dishes, but it’s also great for your health. Studies have found that individuals who regularly eat hot chili peppers show a significant decrease in mortality, which means that enjoying a spicy dinner like this may help you to live longer! (1)
With all of that being said, that’s exactly how you’ll be kicking things off when making this recipe. Gently fry both chilies until they’re fragrant, making sure not to let them burn. Clean them of their stems and seeds once they’ve cooled off, and then blend them with the cumin and ¼ cup of hot water. After setting this mixture aside, you can use a large skillet and start to heat up a bit of olive oil over a medium heat. Make sure to use extra virgin olive oil to get the most benefit – studies have shown a huge difference between actual extra virgin olive oil and most of the brands found on grocery store shelves. Real extra virgin olive oil provides some fantastic health benefits, including reducing your risk of heart disease. (2)
After heating the olive oil, add half of the beef and brown it on all sides. Transfer the beef to a bowl and then repeat with the remaining half. Next, add the beef and the cumin mixture into a slow cooker. You can also add in the garlic, onion, butternut squash, dried oregano, lime juice, and homemade bone broth (click here for a fantastic recipe for making your own bone broth from scratch) at this point as well.
The garlic, onion, and oregano all help to greatly enhance the flavor, while the butternut squash definitely helps to make this chili even more comforting and nourishing. Butternut squash is also a great source of essential vitamins and minerals that has a particularly high concentration of antioxidants. (3) Finally, season the chili mixture with some salt and black pepper and mix everything so it’s well combined. Cover the slow cooker with a lid, leave it cook on low for 6-8 hours, and serve warm with sour cream, pepitas, and lime wedges to enjoy a truly tasty and satisfying bowl of chili.
(You may also like: Metabolism Boosting Beef Bone Broth Chili)
Bombtastic Butternut Squash Beef Chili for Weight Loss
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 6 hours
- Total Time: 6 hours, 10 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
- 1 dried ancho chili
- 1 dried habanero chili
- 4 cups homemade bone broth
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 pound boneless beef chuck roast, cut into ½ inch pieces
- 1 white onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 (1 pound) butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into ½ inch cubes
- 1 ½ tbsp lime juice
- salt, black pepper to taste
- sour cream
- pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
- lime wedges
- Gently fry the chilies in a skillet over medium-low heat for 2-3 minutes per side, until fragrant. Don’t let them burn.
- Allow the chilies to cool slightly and then clean them from seeds and stems.
- Place the chilies in a blender along with cumin and ¼ cup hot water.
- Blend the mixture until smooth, occasionally scraping down the sides of the blender jar and adding more water if needed. Set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add half of the beef and lightly brown on all sides, 2-3 minutes per side. Transfer to a bowl and repeat with the remaining beef.
- Add the beef, butternut squash, onion, garlic, oregano, chili -cumin mixture, bone broth and lime juice in a slow cooker.
- Season to taste with salt and black pepper and mix to combine.
- Cover with a lid and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Serve with sour cream, pepitas and lime wedges.