Soups made with beef and cabbage are among some of my favorite foods for the soul. Beef cabbage soup was an extremely popular meal in the area I grew up, and to this day, I still love sitting down with my family to enjoy a hot bowl of it. Today I’ll be sharing one of my favorite ways to make a soul-satisfying beef cabbage soup. This recipe is incredibly easy to follow while still delivering big time results. Between the beef, cabbage, other veggies, and the savory spices used, this recipe definitely makes one delicious and nutritious bowl of soup indeed! And due to the fact it’s so nutrient-dense and satiating, this recipe also doubles as a great meal to make for helping you achieve your weight loss goals. What’s not to love about that?
How to Make This Delicious Beef Cabbage Soup Weight Loss
To begin, you’ll need to heat up two tablespoons of olive oil over a medium heat. If you aren’t already doing all of your cooking with olive oil (or coconut oil in some exceptions), then you need to make the switch immediately. Most commercial vegetable oils are horrible for your health due to their skewed omega-6 content.
Having high amounts of omega-6 fatty acids with low amounts of omega-3 in your system is a recipe for disaster – it can cause chronic inflammation that in turn can contribute to the development of diseases like cancer, heart disease, and type 2 diabetes. (1) On the other hand, olive oil intake has been linked with a lower risk of developing all three of those diseases! (2)(3)(4)
After heating the olive oil, you can add in the finely chopped onion. Cook the onion for 4-5 minutes, and then add in a few minced garlic cloves. The combination of garlic and onion adds a potent amount of flavor to the soup while also helping to further lower your risk of cancer. (5) Cook the garlic for about 30 seconds, then add the beef and cook it until it’s browned.
And speaking of ingredients that help to keep you disease-free, go ahead and add in the celery, carrots, dried oregano, and dried thyme. All four of these ingredients will give your soup a ton of essential vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and phytonutrients. Saute everything for a couple of minutes before finally pouring in your homemade bone broth (check out our Instant Pot bone broth recipe if you need help) and two cups of water. Leave the soup to cook for 30-40 minutes or so, and then serve it warm with a bit of chopped fresh parsley.
Soul-Satisfying Beef Cabbage Weight Loss Soup
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2–3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound beef, chuck roast, fat trimmed, cut into ½ -inch pieces
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 4 cups chopped green cabbage
- 4 cups homemade beef bone broth
- 2 cups water
- 3 tbsp fresh chopped parsley plus more to serve
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the beef and cook until browned.
- Add the celery, carrots, dried oregano and dried thyme and saute for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the beef bone broth and water and bring the soup to a low boil.
- Cover with a lid and cook for 30-40 minutes or until the beef is fork tender.
- Add the cabbage and parsley and simmer for 10-15 minutes, or until the cabbage is soft.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve warm with extra fresh parsley (if desired).