Bombtastic Butternut Squash Beef Chili for Weight Loss
- Author: Evelyn - HealthySubstitute.com
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 6 hours
- Total Time: 6 hours, 10 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
- 1 dried ancho chili
- 1 dried habanero chili
- 4 cups homemade bone broth
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 pound boneless beef chuck roast, cut into ½ inch pieces
- 1 white onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 (1 pound) butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into ½ inch cubes
- 1 ½ tbsp lime juice
- salt, black pepper to taste
- sour cream
- pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
- lime wedges
- Gently fry the chilies in a skillet over medium-low heat for 2-3 minutes per side, until fragrant. Don’t let them burn.
- Allow the chilies to cool slightly and then clean them from seeds and stems.
- Place the chilies in a blender along with cumin and ¼ cup hot water.
- Blend the mixture until smooth, occasionally scraping down the sides of the blender jar and adding more water if needed. Set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add half of the beef and lightly brown on all sides, 2-3 minutes per side. Transfer to a bowl and repeat with the remaining beef.
- Add the beef, butternut squash, onion, garlic, oregano, chili -cumin mixture, bone broth and lime juice in a slow cooker.
- Season to taste with salt and black pepper and mix to combine.
- Cover with a lid and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Serve with sour cream, pepitas and lime wedges.