This fire cider tonic recipe is super easy to make ahead of time and it lasts forever in the fridge. I usually like to make it in batches to keep some on hand all the time because it’s so good for your immune system and always helps me when I get a cold or need a boost. Here’s how to make it.
How to Make a Fire Cider Tonic
- Peel and chop your ingredients. Peel and chop the horseradish root, turmeric roots, and fresh ginger. Make sure to remove the tough peels as best as you can. Tip: use the edge of the spoon for those hard to reach areas.
- Prepare the rest of the ingredients. Chop the chili pepper (use gloves for this to avoid any discomfort). Juice and zest the organic lemon. Peel and quarter the onion before finally peeling the garlic head cloves.
- Combine the ingredients. Add the horseradish, turmeric, ginger, chili pepper, onion, garlic, lemon zest, and lemon juice to a food processor and pulse until the mixture is chopped.
- Combine with the apple cider vinegar. Transfer the mixture to a jar and add the raw apple cider vinegar. Stir to combine and then cover with a lid. Store the jar in a dark, cool place for a minimum of one month and make sure to shake it daily.
- Strain. Strain the mixture using either a layered cheesecloth or fine mesh sieve.
- Finish it off. Add the raw honey and stir to combine.
- Serve. Serve immediately.
How Often Should I Drink This Fire Cider Tonic?
It’s perfectly safe to drink this fire cider tonic every day, but I wouldn’t recommend drinking more than one to two glasses per day if you do.
As with any type of health supplement, moderation is key. What can be safe to drink in moderate amounts may cause discomfort in excessive amounts.
As a general rule of thumb, I would aim to only drink one tonic per day, and maybe occasionally up to two or three per day if you’ve gotten used to tonics.
How Long Will This Fire Cider Tonic Keep?
After storing the tonic for the initial month and then straining and adding in the raw honey, you should store it in a glass mason jar or a jug with an airtight lid.
When stored in the fridge like this, you can expect this fire cider tonic to keep for up to 6 months.
(You may also like: All-Natural Immune Booster Tonic)
Immunity-Boosting Superfood Fire Cider Tonic
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 1.5 cups 1x
- 1 medium horseradish root, peeled and chopped
- 2 turmeric roots, peeled and chopped
- 4 inch fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
- 1 chili pepper, chopped
- juice and zest of 1 organic lemon
- 1 medium onion, peeled and quartered
- 1 head of garlic, cloves peeled
- 2 cups raw apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup raw honey
- Add the horseradish, turmeric, ginger, chili peeper, onion, garlic, lemon zest and lemon juice to a food processor and pulse until chopped.
- Transfer to a jar.
- Add the raw apple cider vinegar and stir to combine.
- Cover with a lid.
- Store in a dark, cool place for one month and shake daily.
- Strain the mixture.
- Stir in the honey.
- The tonic will keep in the refrigerator for up to 1 year.