Are you looking for a quick meal that’s highly nutritious and easy to prepare? Try this recipe idea for Instant Pot hot and sour soup. This dish is vegetarian-friendly and packs a powerful, nutrient-dense punch of quality ingredients. Protein from tofu, as well as vitamins and minerals from fresh vegetables make this recipe a nutritional powerhouse that’s perfect for cold days.
Fall and winter are flu seasons and as the seasons change, your body needs a healthy immune system to fight off any potential infections. This soup will increase the efficiency and health of your digestive system, thereby boosting your immunity to infection and disease. Stay healthy this winter with a serving of this delicious soup.
Boost Your Immune System with this Hot and Sour Soup
Start your recipe by placing shiitake mushrooms in a medium mixing bowl and cover them with hot water to soften them up. Soak them for 30 minutes before slicing them thinly. Take your Instant Pot and prepare it to make the soup by pressing the sauté button.
Shiitake mushrooms boost immunity and heart health. These mushrooms have antiviral, antibacterial, and anti fungal properties that cleanse the digestive tract and remove inflammation of the intestinal wall. The lentinan and eritadenine compounds found in shiitake balance cholesterol levels while supporting optimal cardiovascular health. (1)
Add a tablespoon or two of sesame oil to the pot and add the garlic and ginger. Brown them for 30-seconds before adding the mushrooms and tofu. Sauté the ingredients for a few minutes and then add the bamboo shoots, soy sauce, rice vinegar, sugar, sweet chili sauce, and white pepper. Thrown in the water and broth before sealing the Instant Pot and setting it to the soup function with a 5 minute timer.
Bamboo shoots are an excellent source of dietary fiber and the spices in the recipe contain various polyphenol antioxidants that enhance immune health. Garlic and ginger reduce LDL (bad cholesterol) levels and improve the production of HDL (good cholesterol). Garlic and ginger both have protective properties for the brain, improving cognitive function. (2)
Bring the soup to a boil and then add the eggs while stirring the soup. Cook the soup until it’s clear and then add the spinach. Spinach is rich in vitamin K and loaded with soluble fiber that helps to clean the digestive system while further reducing systemic inflammation. (3)
After the spinach wilts, stir in the lemon juice and season with Himalayan salt and cracked black pepper to taste. Serve the soup to your family or guests with chopped scallions and cilantro for garnish.
(You may also like: Anti-Inflammatory Vegetable Turmeric Soup)
How to Make Immune-Boosting Instant Pot Hot and Sour Soup
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- 2 oz dried shiitake mushrooms
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 12 oz firm tofu, cut into ½ -inch cubes
- 6 oz canned bamboo shoots, drained
- 4 cups bone broth
- 2 cups water
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- ½ tsp sugar
- ¼ tsp ground white pepper
- 2 tbsp Asian sweet chili sauce
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3 cups fresh spinach (optional)
- 4 scallions, sliced
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tsp lemon juice or to taste
- Place the dried shiitake mushrooms in a medium bowl and cover with hot water.
- Soak for 30 minutes.
- Drain liquid and thinly slice.
- To make the soup, press the SAUTE button on the Instant pot and let stand until screen reads “HOT”.
- Add the sesame oil.
- Add the garlic and ginger and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the mushrooms and tofu and saute for one minute.
- Add the soy sauce, bamboo shoots, rice vinegar, sugar, sweet chili sauce, white pepper, bone broth and water.
- Close and seal the Instant pot.
- Turn the venting knob to SEALING and press SOUP button.
- Adjust the timer to 5 minutes.
- When finished cooking, quick-release pressure according to manufacturer’s directions.
- Press the SAUTE button on the Instant Pot.
- Bring the soup to a boil.
- Add the beaten eggs into hot soup slowly, stirring all the time.
- Cook until clear, stirring constantly.
- Add the spinach and cook for one minute, or until just wilted.
- Stir in lemon juice.
- Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Serve, garnished with chopped cilantro and scallions.