This recipe makes it incredibly easy to make your own immune boosting tonic. It uses a fantastic trio of ingredients (lemon, ginger, and grapefruit) in one simple recipe.
How to Make a Lemon, Ginger and Grapefruit Immune Booster Tonic
- Prepare your ginger. Peel and slice the fresh ginger.
- Steep the ginger. Bring the sliced ginger and water to a boil over medium to high heat. This is actually a great “ginger tea” already.
- Simmer. Reduce the heat and simmer the ginger mixture for another 5 minutes.
- Let sit for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside for 10 minutes.
- Juice the lemon and grapefruit. You can use a juicer or just manually squeeze as much juice as you can out of the fruit.
- Strain. Be sure not to skip straining the ginger tea because you don’t want to bite into a mouthful of ginger! The flavor is awesome in small-ish doses, but it’s a lot stronger if you bite into it.
- Finish it off. Add the raw honey and freshly squeezed grapefruit juice and lemon juice. Stir to combine.
- Serve. Divide the tea between mugs and serve warm.
Are Natural Immune Boosters Really Effective?
Immune boosters made with nothing but 100% whole food ingredients are indeed quite effective. Here are a couple of reasons why:
- Nutrient-dense. The ingredients used in this recipe are all incredibly nutrient-dense and offer you an abundance of essential vitamins, minerals, fiber, antioxidants, and other potent anti-inflammatory compounds. Vitamin C is especially effective for boosting immune strength.
- Protects against disease. Ingredients like ginger in particular are incredibly rich in anti-inflammatory compounds that can help protect against certain types of chronic inflammatory diseases like arthritis and Alzheimer’s. (1)
Is This Immune Booster Tonic Safe to Drink Everyday?
Immune booster tonics can be kind of a double-edged sword. While all-natural tonics like this one are indeed incredibly effective, it can also be possible to have too much of a good thing.
This is especially true when it comes to commercially available immune boosters. Many of these products actually contain harmful ingredients like deadly nightshade, albeit in heavily diluted amounts.
As with any health supplement, it’s not a good idea to drink this tonic by the gallon. However, you shouldn’t have any issues with this recipe if you just stick with one to two cups of this tonic per day.
Can I Make This Tonic Without Heat?
It’s definitely possible to make yourself a tonic without heat. As a matter of fact, cold brewed ginger tonic is one of my favorite drinks; have a peek below for my go to recipe for making it.
How to Cold Brew Ginger Tonic
Cold brewed ginger tonic is just as easy to make as this tonic recipe. Here’s how:
- Combine ingredients. Add lemon juice, grapefruit juice, raw honey, fresh ginger, and water to a glass jar.
- (Optionally) Add tea. Add 2-3 teabags into the mixture if desired.
- Refrigerate. Cover the jar with a lid and keep it in the refrigerator overnight (or for a minimum of 8 hours).
- Serve. Divide the mixture between mugs and serve.
(You may also like: Easy Ginger Wellness Shots to Boost Your Immune System)
All-Natural Immune Booster Tonic (Lemon, Ginger, Grapefruit)
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 2 1x
- 1 inch fresh ginger, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup water
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 grapefruit, juiced
- 2 tbsp raw honey
- Add the water and ginger to a saucepan.
- Bring to a boil over medium hight heat.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Strain the tea.
- Add the honey, grapefruit juice and lemon juice and stir to combine.
- Divide between mugs and serve.