One of the best things about lemonade is that you can make it in so many different ways, especially when you’re making your own from scratch. Here’s my go to recipe for making a homemade strawberry lemonade that tastes great and helps to protect your heart as well.
How to Make Homemade Strawberry Lemonade
- Blend until smooth. Add the fresh strawberries and cold filtered water into a high speed blender and blend until smooth.
- Get rid of the chunks, if any. Use a fine mesh strainer to strain the mixture into a jug or container.
- Finish it off. Add the honey and lemon juice and mix to combine.
- Serve. Serve the lemonade over ice.
3 Ways Strawberry Lemonade Can Help Protect Your Heart
Besides just tasting incredible, this strawberry lemonade also has a few science-backed benefits for your heart health as well. Here are 3 ways it helps to protect your heart:
- Reduces blood pressure. Studies have found that daily consumption of one single glass of lemon water combined with a moderate amount of walking can actually have a significant blood pressure reducing effect. (1)
- Regulates cholesterol levels. Strawberries are packed with antioxidants known as polyphenols that provide a wealth of benefits for your heart. These polyphenols help to both lower levels of the ‘bad’ LDL cholesterol, while also increasing levels of the ‘good’ HDL cholesterol. (2)
- Relieves inflammation. Those same antioxidants also help to relieve chronic inflammation within the body. Left unchecked, inflammation can lead to the development of diseases like cancer, Alzheimer’s, and heart disease.
Is Strawberry Lemonade Safe to Drink Everyday?
Strawberry lemonade is perfectly safe to drink on a daily basis. Believe it or not though, I wouldn’t recommend drinking it all day, every day.
Drinking too much lemon juice is also known to cause heartburn, nausea, and even vomiting in some people. Don’t let that scare you though, even things like vitamin C can be harmful in large enough amounts.
As long as you don’t over do it with your lemonade by having 10 cups per day or something, it’s perfectly fine to enjoy it every day.
How to Store Strawberry Lemonade
The best way to store your strawberry lemonade is to simply keep it in a jug or container with an airtight lid and then leave it in the fridge. Homemade strawberry lemonade will stay good for up to one week when kept like this.
Homemade Strawberry Lemonade to Protect Your Heart
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- 1 pound fresh strawberries
- 1/3 cup honey or to taste
- ¾ cup lemon juice
- 4 cups cold filtered water
- ice cubes
- Place the strawberries and water to a high speed blender and blend until smooth.
- Strain the mixture through a fine mesh strainer.
- Add the honey and lemon juice and mix to combine.
- Serve over ice.