There’s an insane amount of people out there living their day-to-day lives while being chronically dehydrated without even realizing it. Fortunately, this homemade limeade electrolyte drink can help you be proactive against that in one fell swoop! Here’s how to make it.
How to Make Homemade Limemade Electrolyte Drink
- Combine the ingredients. Add the coconut water, cold filtered water, honey, lemon juice, and lime juice into a large bowl and stir to combine.
- Serve. Serve over ice with mint (optional).
How Does This Limemade Help to Replenish My Electrolytes?
This homemade limemade works great for replenishing your electrolytes thanks to 3 key ingredients:
- Coconut water
- Lime juice
- Lemon juice
Coconut water is rich in 5 key electrolytes: potassium, magnesium, sodium, calcium, and phosphorus. It’s already a great electrolyte replenishing drink on its own, but it really shines when combined with the lemon and lime juice.
Lemon and lime juice both replenish electrolytes in the same way. They each contain citric acid, which dissolves into an electrolyte when combined with fluids. (1)
3 Reasons Why Everyone Should Have Electrolyte Drinks
Electrolytes play a variety of essential roles in your body, beyond the obvious one of helping to keep you from becoming dehydrated. Here are 3 big reasons why everyone should drink them:
- Lowers blood pressure. Minerals like calcium, potassium, and magnesium all help to lower high blood pressure, which helps to reduce your risk of heart attack and stroke. (2)
- Maintains proper pH balance. Electrolyte drinks help with regulating fluid levels in the blood and in your body. This helps your blood plasma to maintain the correct acidity.
- Assists muscle contraction. Electrolytes are also essential for proper muscle contraction. They assist all of the muscle contractions within your body, including the most important one of all – the beating of your heart.
When is the Best Time to Drink Electrolyte Drinks?
If you’re not drinking the recommended 8 glasses of water per day on a regular basis, then to be perfectly honest, any time of day will be good for you to drink electrolyte drinks in order to combat dehydration.
However, the most optimal time to drink an electrolyte drink is either during or immediately after an intense workout. This helps with keeping your electrolytes replenished when your body needs it the most.
Thirst-Quenching Limeade to Replenish Your Electrolytes
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- 2 cups coconut water
- 2 cups cold filtered water
- 1/3 cup honey or to taste
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/3 cup lime juice
- ice cubes
- fresh mint (optional)
- In a large bowl combine all the ingredients.
- Serve over ice with mint if using.