This vegan sour cream substitute recipe is so good that even my non-vegan friends have asked me how to make it. The recipe uses the perfect combination of vegan friendly ingredients to make a sour cream substitute that offers that same great tangy taste that you know and love.
How to Make a Vegan Sour Cream Substitute
- Soak. Soak the raw cashew nuts in a small bowl of water overnight.
- Drain. Drain and rinse the cashew nuts.
- Blend the ingredients together. Add the cashew nuts, water, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, Dijon mustard, and salt into a high power blender and blend until smooth.
- Store in the refrigerator. Transfer the mixture to an airtight container and refrigerate until ready to use.
3 Benefits You Can Gain From Going Dairy-Free
You don’t necessarily have to go vegan in order to benefit from going dairy-free. Here are 3 great benefits that anybody can gain from going dairy-free:
- Improved skin. Many people have reported dramatic improvements in skin conditions like acne, psoriasis, and eczema when giving up dairy. Indeed, research has actually found rather strong links between dietary items like dairy and acne, which explains why so many people notice such a marked improvement. (1)
- Improved digestion. Believe it or not, but there are some people out there who are lactose intolerant without even knowing it. Their symptoms are mild enough to not interfere with their daily life; it’s often only when they give up dairy and notice significant improvements with their digestive system that many people notice the link.
- Reduced exposure to harmful hormones and antibiotics. It’s a pretty wide open secret that the dairy industry pumps their cows full of hormones and antibiotics in order to increase profits. By giving up dairy, you can help to reduce your body’s exposure to these harmful additives.
How to Store Vegan Sour Cream
You’re going to want to keep your vegan sour cream stored in the exact same way that you would store regular sour cream: sealed up inside of an airtight container in the fridge.
When stored like this, you can expect your sour cream to last for about 5 days.
One additional thing to keep in mind though as you refrigerate your sour cream is that it will thicken up sitting in the fridge. If you find that the consistency becomes too thick, you can simply whisk in a bit of water to fix it up.
Can I Freeze This Vegan Sour Cream?
If you want to extend the shelf life of your vegan sour cream, freezing it is an option as well. If you keep it sealed up in a freezer safe container, your sour cream will keep for up to one month when frozen.
(You may also like: Vegan Heavy Cream Substitute)
Easy, Creamy Vegan Sour Cream Substitute (Dairy-Free Alternative)
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 1.5 cups 1x
- 1 cup raw cashew nuts, soaked overnight
- ½ cup water
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- ¼ tsp Dijon mustard
- salt to taste
- Drain and rinse the cashew nuts.
- Add the cashew nuts, water, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, mustard and salt to taste to a high power blender and blend until smooth.
- Transfer to a jar and refrigerate until ready to use.