Going vegan doesn’t mean you have to give up all of your favorite foods that are made with dairy products. You can easily use this vegan heavy cream substitute in a pinch for any recipe that calls for regular heavy cream.
How to Make a Vegan Heavy Cream Substitute
- Soak the cashews overnight. This will soften the cashews and help you blend it more easily later on.
- Drain. Drain and rinse the cashew nuts.
- Blend the cashew nuts. Add the cashew nuts and water into a high speed blender and blend until smooth.
- Add more water if needed. If you find that your mixture is turning out too thick, you can simply a bit of water until you reach your desired consistency.
A Few Points to Consider When Using Vegan Substitutes Like Cashew Cream
After mixing together your cashew cream, it’s a good idea to put it in the fridge for a little while in order to give it some time to thicken up like regular heavy cream.
It’s also possible to use this cashew cream to make whipped cream, which is great because not all heavy cream substitutes can be used for this. If you want to make whipped cream, simply allow your cashew cream to chill in the fridge for a bit and then gently whisk it using a handheld mixer.
What Goes Well With This Vegan Heavy Cream Substitute?
This vegan cream substitute goes so well with so many different things. Here are just a few of my favorite ways to use this cashew cream every time I make it:
- Use it as a butter or mayonnaise replacement for toast or sandwiches
- Add it into warm oatmeal, mashed potatoes, or casseroles
- Add it into morning smoothies or vegan protein shakes
How Long Does This Vegan Heavy Cream Substitute Last in the Refrigerator?
Any of this cashew cream that you don’t immediately use should be transferred into an airtight container and kept in the fridge. Your cashew cream will last for up to one week when stored like this.
Can I Freeze This Vegan Heavy Cream Substitute?
You can also freeze this vegan cashew cream if you want it to last for longer than a week. As long as you keep it stored in an airtight, freezer safe container, the cashew cream can last for up to 1-2 months.
You can thaw it out in the fridge overnight but before you use it after defrosting, I recommend running the cashew cream through a blender again in order to eliminate any lumps that may have formed from the freezing process.
(You may also like: Vegan Sour Cream Substitute)
Vegan Heavy Cream Substitute (High Protein, Dairy-Free)
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- Yield: 2 cups 1x
- 1 cup raw cashew nuts, soaked overnight
- 1 cup water
- Drain and rinse the cashew nuts.
- Add the cashew nuts and water to a high speed blender and blend until smooth.
- If the substitute is too thick, add more water.