It’s happened to us all before, you’re in the middle of making the perfect recipe only to discover that you’re all out of eggs. There’s no need to worry though because as long as you have some flaxseed meal on hand, you can make this incredibly good and easy flax egg substitute.
How to Make a Flax Egg Substitute
- Combine the flaxseed meal and hot water in a bowl. Mix well even though the flaxseeds won’t dissolve in the water.
- Wait. Let the mixture sit for about 5 minutes until it has thickened enough to have an egg-like consistency.
Why Use a Flax Egg Substitute?
A lot of my friends are surprised to learn that you can use egg substitutes on purpose in place of eggs in order to have some types of recipes turn out even better. This is especially true if you’re using this particular recipe for making a flaxseed egg replacement.
Flaxseed egg substitutes are great because they:
- Add moisture to baking recipes
- Add binding power to your dry ingredients
- Work great as a leavening agent (chia seeds are also good for this)
How to Substitute Egg with Flaxseed Meal in Recipes
Replacing eggs in recipes with flaxseed meal is ridiculously easy. You simply need to use one tablespoon of flaxseed meal mixed with three tablespoons of hot water for every egg you need to replace.
So for example, if your recipe requires 2 eggs, you would simply mix together two tablespoons of flaxseed with six tablespoons of hot water. Nice and easy!
5 More Egg Substitutes You Can Use for Baking
I usually use flaxseed for all of my egg replacement needs for the simple reason being that I always tend to have flaxseed meal on hand. In a pinch though, you can also try out some of the following egg substitutes for baking as well:
- Vinegar and baking soda – 1 tbsp of vinegar with 1 tsp of baking soda replaces one egg
- Ripe banana – ¼ cup of mashed ripe banana replaces one egg
- Unsweetened applesauce – ¼ cup of applesauce replaces one egg
- Ripe avocado – ¼ cup of mashed ripe avocado replaces one egg
- Chia seeds and hot water – 1 tbsp of chia seeds with 3 tbsp of hot water replaces one egg
(You may also like: Vegan Cream Cheese Substitute)
2-Ingredient Flax Egg Substitute (Works Perfect for Baking!)
- Prep Time: 1 minute
- Total Time: 1 minute
- Yield: 1 egg 1x
- 1 tbsp flaxseed meal
- 3 tbsp hot water
- In a small bowl combine the flax meal and water.
- Let sit for 5 minutes to thicken.