When I was in my early 20s, there was a period of a few months where I was experiencing pretty severe back pain. After several trips to the doctor, I was left with no explanation for why it was occuring. Then one day a friend of mine who works as a personal trainer recommended bone broth for the pain. I was more than a bit skeptical, but I decided to give it a shot anyway. Lo and behold, after only a couple of days, my mysterious back pain vanished. I simply used bone broth to make a few tasty soups and just like that – problem solved! My favorite soup to make was the recipe I’ll be sharing with you guys today. It makes a collagen-rich butternut squash soup that works great for relieving back pain. It isn’t just the bone broth in this soup that helps to relieve pain – there’s also a fantastic mix of proven anti-inflammatory ingredients added in as well.
An Incredibly Tasty Butternut Squash Soup to Relieve Back Pain
The first order of business is combining two tablespoons of olive oil with one tablespoon of unsalted butter in a large pot before heating them up over a medium heat. Both of these ingredients are staples in my cooking repertoire for one main reason – they’re both excellent sources of healthy fat. Olive oil is packed full of heart healthy monounsaturated fatty acids that help to reduce your risk of cardiovascular disease. (1) And if you’re able to get your hands on grass-fed butter (which I always recommend using for all of our recipes that call for butter), it provides a solid mix of omega-3 fatty acids and antioxidants like vitamin E. (2)
Next, add in two more personal favorites of mine – onion and garlic – and cook them for 3-5 minutes and about 30 seconds respectively. Among the many, many health benefits provided by each of these ingredients, they also happen to contain some rather potent anti-inflammatory properties that can go a long way towards relieving chronic pain. (3) With that out of the way, go ahead and add the butternut squash, ground ginger, ground turmeric, and Chinese five-spice powder (a savory mix that typically contains fennel, star anise, cinnamon, cloves, and Szechuan peppercorn – spicy!).
The ground ginger and turmeric are also two rather potent anti-inflammatory ingredients. Gingerol is the active constituent in ginger that gives it it’s incredible anti-oxidative and anti-inflammatory properties (4), while turmeric contains curcumin, a compound that is commonly used in supplement form due to how effective it is at providing pain relief. (5)
Saute everything for a couple of minutes and then add in five cups of bone broth. This large amount of bone broth provides your soup with it’s rich collagen content. Not only does collagen work wonders for relieving chronic pain, but it’s also commonly used in many commercial anti-aging products because of the incredible benefits it provides. (6) After adding the bone broth, cover with a lid and cook the soup for 15-20 minutes before transferring it into an immersion blender. Puree the soup until it’s smooth, season with salt and pepper, and serve warm with a bit of sour cream for a truly yummy meal.
Collagen-Rich Butternut Squash Soup for Back Pain
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
- 1 butternut squash (about 1 ½ pound), peeled, seeded and cut into 1⁄2-inch cubes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ tsp Chinese five-spice powder
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- 5 cups bone broth
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- In a large pot heat the olive oil and butter over medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook for 3-5 minutes or until softened and translucent.
- Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the butternut squash, ground ginger, turmeric and 5 spice powder and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add the bone broth and bring the soup to a low boil.
- Cover with a lid and cook for 15-20 minutes or until the butternut squash is fork tender.
- Using an immersion blender or food processor or blender, puree the soup until smooth.
- Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Serve, garnished with sour cream.
More Healthy Butternut Squash Soup Recipes:
- Butternut Squash Noodle Soup for a Satisfying Low Calorie Meal
- How to Make Heart Healthy Butternut Squash Soup in an Instant
- Roasted Garlic Butternut Squash Soup to Lower Cholesterol
- 7-Ingredient Instant Pot Butternut Squash Soup for Weight Loss
- Bombtastic Butternut Squash Beef Chili for Weight Loss
- The Best Butternut Squash Soup to Fuel Your Soul (And Body)
- Superfood Bone Broth Butternut Squash Soup