Are you in need of an energy boost this afternoon? Put down the energy drink and try out this energy-packed black bean soup with spicy beef balls. This meal doesn’t take much time to prepare; in fact, 30 minutes is all it takes. If you enjoy a tangy tomato taste sensation, then this dish will make your taste buds dance with delight. Spice up your life and boost your metabolism with this delicious recipe.
The pace of a modern lifestyle will burn you out if your nutrition isn’t on point. This recipe provides your body with everything it needs to maintain optimal energy levels throughout the day. Make sure you use organic vegetables and grass-fed beef to ensure you receive the optimal nutritional value from this hearty meal.
Boost Your Energy with This Black Bean Soup
Start your culinary adventure by visiting the local butcher for grass-fed ground beef. Make sure your protein source is free from hormones and antibiotics found in factory farmed animals. Organically raised beef is rich in amino acids essential for new cell generation and cell communication ensuring a healthy skeletal and muscular system. (1)
It’s just as vital to select vegetables grown by organic farms that use sustainable farming methods which is why picking up your veggies from your local farm stall or fresh greengrocer is important. Zucchini and tomato have potent metabolism-boosting properties produced by their polyphenol antioxidants that cleanse the body. (2)
Start the recipe by preheating your oven to 400°F and line a lightly greased baking tray with foil. Take a large mixing bowl and add the ground beef, eggs, breadcrumbs, cumin, garlic, chili powder, lime juice, black pepper, cilantro, and water. Season with salt to taste and then scoop out the mixture into ping-pong sized meatballs.
Place the meatballs on the baking tray and toss them in the oven for 8 to 12 minutes until the pleasant aroma of cooked meatballs fills the air. While you’re waiting on the beef, start your soup. Add a tablespoon of extra-virgin olive oil to a large pot and place over medium heat. Add your onions and sauté them until translucent and golden brown.
Add your carrots and cook for 2 to 3 minutes before adding your spices. Cumin and chili are excellent metabolism boosters. The capsaicin found in these spices lifts your metabolic rate and provides your body with sustainable energy throughout the day.
It’s time to add the magic ingredient – bone broth. This superfood contains collagen from animal marrow and ligaments, and it’s a natural inflammation fighter that soothes the digestive tract and reduces inflammation of the intestinal wall.
After adding the broth, stir in the water, diced tomatoes, and tomato sauce. By now, the soup will be releasing a pleasant aroma that spreads through your home alerting everyone that dinner is on the way.
Bring the soup to a boil and cook it for 5 minutes before adding the meatballs, zucchini, frozen corn and black beans. Cook for an additional 5 minutes until the zucchini is fork-tender. Season with salt and freshly cracked black pepper and then serve the meal warm to your family with diced avocado and sliced cilantro.
(You may also like: Red Lentil Soup with Mini Meatballs (High in Fiber and Protein))
Energy-Packed Black Bean Soup with Spicy Beef Balls
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
For the beef balls:
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- ¼ cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp lime juice
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp finely chopped cilantro or parsley
- 2 tbsp water
- salt to taste
For the soup:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 cups homemade bone broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 (14 oz) can of diced tomatoes
- 1 (8 ounce) can of tomato sauce
- 2 carrots peeled and chopped into ¼-inch pieces
- 1 zucchini, chopped into ½-inch pieces
- 1 (15 ounce) can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup of frozen corn
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- chopped cilantro (for garnishing)
- diced avocado (for garnishing)
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and lightly grease with oil. Set aside.
- In a bowl add the ground beef, dry breadcrumbs, beaten egg, cumin, garlic powder, chili powder, lime juice, black pepper, cilantro, water and salt to taste.
- Mix to combine.
- Form the meatballs into 1 tablespoon sized balls.
- Place the meatballs on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake in preheated oven for 8-12 minutes or until the meatballs are well browned.
- Meanwhile, make the soup.
- In a pot heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook for 3-5 minutes or until softened and translucent.
- Add the carrots and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in the chili powder and cumin.
- Add the bone broth, water, diced tomatoes and tomato sauce.
- Bring the soup to a low boil and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the meatballs, frozen corn, zucchini and black beans and simmer for additional 5 minutes or until the zucchini is fork tender.
- Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Serve warm with chopped cilantro and diced avocado.