Beef jerky is one of my all time favorite snacks. Compared to other grocery store treats that are filled with refined sugar and artificial ingredients, beef jerky is all natural and high in protein. This homemade beef jerky recipe makes use of only 5 simple ingredients that are probably already sitting in your food pantry or refrigerator right this minute. I’ve personally been making beef jerky more often because of how easy it is to make. Preparation is literally the hardest part and it only takes 10 minutes. You could make a huge batch of this and store it in your refrigerator up to a month. For me, that’s convenience, health and great taste in one.
How to Make the Best 5-Ingredient Homemade Beef Jerky (Easy!)
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 8 hours
- Total Time: 8 hours, 10 minutes
- Yield: 20 1x
2 pounds eye of round roast, trimmed off fat and sliced thinly agains the grain
½ cup pineapple juice
¼ cup brown sugar
¼ cup soy sauce
¼ cup white vinegar
1 tbsp salt or to taste
- In a large bowl whisk together the pineapple juice, brown sugar, soy sauce, white vinegar and 1 tablespoon of salt (or to taste) until combined.
- Add the meat to a bowl and toss until well coated.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, or up to 1 day.
- If you’re making the jerky in a dehydrator, lay the strips out in a single layer on the trays of your dehydrator.
- Set dehydrator according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- If you’re making the jerky in the oven, preheat oven to 175°F.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and place a wire rack over the foil.
- Lay the beef strips out in a single layer on the wire rack.
- Bake the beef in the preheated oven until dry and leathery, about 4 to 8 hours, flipping the beef once about halfway through. (see note*)
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.
- Transfer into a container and refrigerate for up to 1 month.
The total time is dependent on the thickness of the meat.