Butternut Squash Noodle Soup for a Satisfying Low Calorie Meal
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 pound ground chicken or turkey
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 green bell peppers, seeded and chopped
- 2 cans (14.5 oz each) fire-roasted tomatoes, with juices
- 4 cups chicken bone broth or stock
- 1 (14 oz) can black beans, rinsed well and drained
- 2 cups spiralized butternut squash
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- chopped parsley for garnish (optional)
- In a large heavy pot or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook for 3-5 minutes or until softened and translucent.
- Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the ground chicken or turkey and cook until no longer pink, stirring to break up into small pieces.
- Add the bell peppers, tomato paste, fire-roasted tomatoes, chili powder, cumin, cinnamon, oregano, coriander, bone broth and stir to combine.
- Bring the soup to a simmer and simmer covered for 20 minutes.
- Add the black beans and spiralized butternut squash and simmer for 5-10 minutes or until butternut squash noodles are tender.
- Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Serve warm, garnished with chopped parsley.