Keto-Friendly Bone Broth Chicken Tortilla Soup (High in Protein)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (14 oz) whole peeled tomatoes
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 4 cups homemade bone broth
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 lime, juiced
- ½ avocado, pitted, peeled, and cut into cubes
- salt and black pepper to taste
- diced avocado (optional)
- 2 low carb tortillas (optional)
- chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
- In a large pot or Dutch oven heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook for 3-5 minutes or until softened and translucent.
- Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Remove the pot from the heat.
- Add the tomatoes (with juices) and chili powder.
- Using an immersion blender blend until smooth.
- Add the bone broth mix to combine.
- Return the pot to the stove and add the broth.
- Bring the soup to a simmer.
- Add the chicken breasts and cook for 15-20 minutes or until fork tender.
- Remove the chicken form the soup.
- Shred the chicken with 2 forks and then return to the pot.
- Add the lime juice and season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- To make the tortilla strips, preheat oven to 350°F.
- Brush the tortillas with melted butter.
- Bake in preheated oven for 5-10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and cut the tortillas into strips.
- Divide the soup between serving bowls.
- Top with tortilla strips, diced avocado and chopped cilantro and serve.