Charcoal lemonade, also known as black lemonade, is an easy to make lemonade drink that can work wonders if you’re dealing with an upset stomach. Here’s how you can make your own in 5 minutes or less!
How to Make Charcoal Lemonade
- Extract the juice from 2 lemons.
- Whisk. Add the food-grade activated charcoal, fresh lemon juice, raw honey, and filtered water into a large bowl and whisk to combine.
- Serve. Serve over ice.
3 Great Reasons Why You Should Be Drinking Charcoal Lemonade
There are a variety of reasons why people drink charcoal lemonade. It’s most often used for an upset stomach or to relieve indigestion, but it also offers a couple of other surprising benefits as well:
- Relieves gas and indigestion. Activated charcoal helps with absorbing and expelling toxins and impurities in your system. Many people are surprised to learn that activated charcoal has actually been used for years as a treatment for irritable bowel syndrome thanks to its ability to absorb gas and toxins from the gut. (1)
- Contains pectin fiber. This charcoal lemonade is also a good source of pectin fiber thanks to the lemons. Studies have found that pectin fiber can help reduce appetite, relieve constipation by accelerating the movement of stool through the intestines, and even increase the amount of beneficial bacteria in your gut. (2)
- Assists the liver with its natural detoxification process. Your liver handles most of the heavy lifting when it comes to your body’s natural detox process. Activated charcoal can help your liver work more efficiently thanks to its ability to absorb toxins.
Is Charcoal Really Safe to Consume?
Activated charcoal is perfectly safe to consume in moderate amounts. The key thing to remember though is that you want to make 100% sure that you’re buying food-grade activated charcoal if you plan on ingesting it.
Food-grade activated charcoal is typically made by heating coconut shells to super hot temperatures until they completely burn up. The leftover ash is then processed with either hot air or steam at equally high temperatures in order to give it a more microporous structure.
As you can see, this is decidedly different from eating the same type of charcoal that you use on your BBQ for your grill cookouts!
How Often Can I Drink Charcoal Lemonade?
You can drink charcoal lemonade on a daily basis as long as you limit the amount you’re drinking. As mentioned above, it’s a perfectly safe substance when used in moderate amounts.
With that being said though, I would recommend mostly just making charcoal lemonade when you’re looking for an all-natural source of relief for an upset stomach or indigestion.
Soothing Charcoal Lemonade for Gas and Upset Stomach
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- ¼ tsp food-grade activated charcoal
- 2 lemons, juiced
- ¼ cup raw honey or to taste
- 4 cups filtered water
- ice cubes
- Add the lemon juice, water, honey and charcoal to large bowl and whisk to combine.
- Serve over ice.